http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/13/us/13physics.html?_r=1&pagewanted=all
I chanced upon this article while browsing the IVLE forum today.
To summarise things,
the article touched on MIT's teaching method.
It replaced the traditional large introductory lecture with smaller classes that emphasize hands-on, interactive, collaborative learning,
by using walls are covered with white boards and huge display screens coupled with a team of teaching assistants and a professor.
Brief presentations of general principles and students are required work out related concepts in small groups.
(sounds like what Alfred is trying to get us to do everytime after lecture; break into small groups and work on a mini assignment.)
The new approach at M.I.T. is known by its acronym, TEAL, for Technology Enhanced Active Learning.
One advantage noted is thatteachers can gauge the level of understanding in the room by throwing out a series of multiple-choice questions and getting the answers instantly. the educator can then adjust, slowing down or engaging students in guided discussions of their answers, as needed.
I pretty much like this paragraph in the article by Professor Mazur:
“Just as you can’t become a marathon runner by watching marathons on TV,” Professor Mazur said, “likewise for science, you have to go through the thought processes of doing science and not just watch your instructor do it.”
One of the reason in implementing TEAL is because of the drop in attendace for lectures.
For the TEAL programme, students are "forced" to attend to class because attendance counts toward the final grade.
This brings us back to the lecture on one of the learning theories - Behaviourism.
Students' attendance increased after the implementation of the reward/punishment system.
This also relates to the affective domain of learning where students go to classes for the fear that not attending the lessons will result in a reduction in their grades.
The article also mentioned the two other learnign theories, namely Cognitivism and the Socio-cultural approach.
The yellow quote above implied that students needs to generate thoughts and process the thingss taught during lecture.
Hence, hands-on learning is required to stimulate the thought process so that students are able to link and put the theory into use.
This corresponds to the Cognitivism theory.
The article also stated that teachers and students conduct experiments together. Conferring with tablemates, calling out questions and jumping up to write formulas on the white boards are all encouraged.
This shows the socio-cultural approach in TEAL
I think that this is also part of the pschyomotor domain of learning where students actually physically get drilled on the questions.
I realised that e-learning does not necessary mean that learnign have to take place in a virtual enviroment.
It doesn't mean that each student have a computer in front of them and isolated.
This article taught me that e-learning can also take place in a classroom where you physically see your tutors and classmates! (this is also known as blended learning)
It's just that educational IT tools are used to aid effective learning.
(I think I'm stupid. I am supposed to have known this long ago, isn't it!?!?!)
I think i'm starting to link all the concepts for the modules. :)
this is a good start, i suppose!
please correct me if I'm wrong.
Saturday, February 28, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment